Confused Between Buying 1 Ply/2Ply/3Ply Toilet Paper? Here is Everything You Should Know.
While the Internet and modern technology are widely regarded as some of the greatest inventions in recent history, we reckon there’s another innovative concept that deserves a mention: toilet paper.
Often regarded as an amusing subject, toilet paper is a critical part of everyday life for millions of people around the world and addresses one of the most important concerns - basic human hygiene. On average, people use 8-9 sheets of toilet paper per toilet use, and a total of 57 sheets of toilet paper a day.
Toilet Paper is Evolving
As our lifestyles continue to change, so too do our toilet paper preferences. Whether you prefer your toilet paper to be standard, quilted, coreless, or jumbo, there are a wide range of options on the market to suit everyone’s needs.
One of the most important factors to consider when choosing toilet paper is the number of layers that its sheets consist of - in other words, its ply.
As you might be aware, ply can have a big impact on the comfort, durability and cost of toilet paper. However, there is still some confusion regarding the technical differences between toilet paper products, leading to questions such as: Which is better, 1 ply or 2 ply toilet paper? What is the difference between 2 ply and 3 ply toilet paper? How do I choose between 1 ply Vs 2 ply Vs 3 ply toilet paper?
In this guide, we’re going to answer all these questions to help you get a better understanding of your options, which will allow you to make a more informed decision when purchasing toilet paper.
What is Ply?
Before you can choose the right toilet paper brand and ply number for your unique needs, you first have to understand what ply actually is.
The term “ply” simply refers to the number of layers a toilet paper has. There are three main types of toilet paper plies:
● 1 ply toilet paper: Consists of one layer of paper. Usually the most affordable option, but often comes at the cost of comfort.
● 2 ply toilet paper: Consists of two layers of paper. Offers a reasonable level of comfort.
● 3 ply toilet paper: Consists of three layers of paper. The most comfortable type of toilet paper. Somewhat rare to see in bathrooms.
It is important to remember that a product’s ply is not necessarily an accurate indicator of quality. Not all toilet papers manufacturing is equally and products of the same ply can vary quite significantly in terms of paper thickness and quality. In some instances, for example, a well-constructed 1 ply toilet paper can feel just as thick and comfortable as a 2 ply product, which highlights the importance of looking for a reputable brand that you can trust.
1 ply or 2 ply - Which is Better Toilet Paper?
Whether you should choose 1 ply or 2 ply toilet tissue comes down to a few key issues: cost, comfort, and septic system impact.
Less paper means less cost. From an economic point of view, 1 ply toilet paper is the clear winner as it is typically much cheaper than 2 ply. For added comfort, people will often use multiple layers of 1 ply toilet paper roll as it is so affordable.
Because 2 ply toilet papers are made of two layers of paper, they tend to be thicker, stronger and softer than their 1 ply counterparts. However, thanks to recent innovations in product design and advances in the manufacturing process, the comfort gap is closing and some 1 ply options now offer almost the same level of strength and softness as 2 ply toilet papers.
3) Septic System Impact
For houses with septic systems, 1 ply toilet paper is usually the best option. People often use the same amount of toilet paper regardless of its density, which means that using 2 ply toilet paper would simply double the amount of tissue that ends up in your septic tank. Additionally, 1 ply toilet paper can be used in both low flow and no flush environments, such as in RV and boat bathrooms.
What Are The Differences Between 2 Ply and 3 Ply Toilet Paper?
● 2 ply toilet paper is usually more cost-effective than 3 ply. 2 ply toilet paper is made using less material, which allows manufacturers to produce the product at a lower cost and pass those savings onto you, the consumer. However, it is important to remember that materials and manufacturing methods will ultimately determine the quality of the final product. Most toilet paper suppliers offer 2 ply toilet paper in bulk, enabling you to purchase enough supplies to keep your restrooms stocked for a long time.
● 3 ply toilet paper is the ultimate choice for people who want the very best in comfort, strength and absorption. Made with three layers of paper, 3 ply toilet paper is an excellent option for high-level executive offices, restaurants, hotels and other applications where you want to impress your guests and improve the user’s restroom experience. While 3 ply toilet paper is often slightly more expensive than 1 ply and 2 ply products, the added level of comfort and sense of luxury it provides is worth every cent.
To summarise, the main difference between 1 ply, 2 ply and 3 ply toilet paper is how many sheets of paper is used to make the product. While higher ply toilet paper tends to be slightly more expensive, it delivers a superior level of comfort and durability.
Here at Bog Rolls Australia, we’re proud to provide sustainably sourced toilet paper at competitive prices. All of our toilet paper rolls are manufactured according to the highest quality standards, which enables us to provide you with a premium product that is sure to impress. Plus, 50% of our profits go to ADRA to help make the world a better place.
Contact us today to learn more about our premium toilet paper products!